40-Hour HAZWOPER (4-day Course)
June 19, 2023
Oklahoma Safety Council
HAZWOPER (40-HOUR) Course Description: Hazardous materials and waste are part of many work situations and can be found on many types of job sites. It is important for employees know how to recognize these potentially dangerous substances, as well as how to handle and dispose of them properly. OSHA mandates that anyone working with the substances receive comprehensive training in this area. This course meets the requirements for 40 hours initial classroom training prescribed under OSHA 29 CFR1910.120. The mandated three days minimum field experience under a trained, experienced supervisor is the responsibility of the student’s employer or potential employer. This course is designed to explain the regulations and to help employees reduce or eliminate potential exposure to hazardous materials in their work environment. Attendees of this course will learn the basic health and safety skills necessary to work with and around hazardous materials and waste.
• Understand the purpose of OSHA as well as its role in regulating occupational safety and health.
• Understand the HAZWOPER regulations and training requirements.
• Use of Site Characterization in order to eliminate work site hazards.
• Understand the principles of toxicology and how they relate to various types of chemical exposures.
• Recognize and identify hazardous materials in the workplace, and the possible methods, symptoms, and preventative methods of exposure.
• Familiarization with materials, substances, compounds, and mixtures that may contain explosive, flammable, chemical, or radiological hazards.
• Importance and selection of the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) in order to limit hazardous exposure.
• Understand the components and application of the site safety and health plan.
• Understand the principles of decontamination and the methods used.
• Understand the Global Harmonizing System, and the use of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and Container Labels to identify and properly handle hazardous materials.
Instructors train using hands-on exercises, lecture/discussion, videos. A written exam is included.
Member price: $700
Non-member price: $775
Do you have a group of five or more students who need this course? Call our office to schedule a course for your group.
Please select the above button to proceed
No. The mandated three days of field experience is the responsibility of the student's employer or potential employer.
All cancellation or rescheduling for classes must be made by 2:00 PM on the business day PRIOR to the scheduled class. Full course fees will be assessed if registrant has not cancelled by the deadline. Anyone who may be late should call to notify the training center. Anyone arriving late – without notification – will be assessed the full class fee.