8-Hour HAZWOPER (1-day Course)
June 19, 2023
Oklahoma Safety Council
HAZWOPER (8-HOUR REFRESHER) – Hazardous materials and waste are part of many work situations and can be found on many types of job sites. It is important for employees know how to recognize these potentially dangerous substances, as well as how to handle and dispose of them properly. OSHA requires an 8-hour annual Refresher training for all workers that have their 40-hour or 24-hour HAZWOPER Certification, in order to maintain their certification. This course meets the requirements for the annual refresher training prescribed under OSHA 29 CFR1910.120. This course is designed to review topics from previous training, update attendees on any new requirements pertaining to HAZWOPER, critique incidents from the previous year to serve as training examples and introduce/review other relevant topics.
Learning objectives ensure students:
- Understand the HAZWOPER regulations and training requirements.
- Understand the principles of toxicology and how they relate to various types of chemical exposures.
- Recognize and identify hazardous materials in the workplace, and the possible methods, symptoms, and preventative methods of exposure.
- Familiarization with materials, substances, compounds, and mixtures that may contain explosive, flammable, chemical, or radiological hazards.
- Importance and selection of the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) in order to limit hazardous exposure.
- Understand the components and application of the site safety and health plan.
- Understand the principles of decontamination and the methods used.
- Understand the Global Harmonizing System, and the use of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and container labels to identify and properly handle hazardous materials.
Instructional methods include hands-on/table-top exercises, lecture/discussions, video, and a written exam.
Do you have a group of five or more students who need this course? Call our office to schedule a course for your group.
Please select the above button to proceed
All cancellation or rescheduling for classes must be made by 2:00 PM on the business day PRIOR to the scheduled class. Full course fees will be assessed if registrant has not cancelled by the deadline. Anyone who may be late should call to notify the training center. Anyone arriving late – without notification – will be assessed the full class fee.